Tuesday 13 March 2012

Javanese beauty


I think I'm becoming obsessed with these herbalism stuffs... From my new hobby researching about benefits of plants on human skin, now I carry on researching about local brands inspired by the traditional skincare (after took some time looking at makeups during my weekend, lol!). There are two legendary brands in my country, (they also creating their own collection of cosmetics, but now I focus to skincare), using traditional beauty philosophy in their production... Using herbs, and some mixture of herbs are even originated from formula used by the royalty princesses in the past centuries, in order to make their skin not only healthy but to shine and envyingly glowing brightly like no other.

Those two legendary brands are Sari Ayu and Mustika Ratu. All their skincare products are made from natural, fresh resource and some are very traditional as the plant ingredients are only found in Indonesia.

So, yesterday I took a look at some products by Dewi Sri Spa. Dewi Sri Spa is another skincare brand by Martha Tilaar, the same founder of Sari Ayu. When I visited their website for the first time, I was so mesmerized. The whole design and concept are just classically gorgeous, matched with their philosophy and mission, and I love reading their philosophy and beauty tips.

"As an agricultural nation, Indonesians rely heavily on rice (Oryza Sativa) production. The Indonesians embrace the rice philosophya s a wisdom principal. On top of being the major staple food, it embodies the culture of patience and humbleness, as the paddy plant 'bows' lower as it grows heavier."
-
Dewi Sri Spa philosophy


Since I was a little girl, I've already admired their product design, like in the samples above, the body lotion and body scrub from their classic series. The classical font type really matched with the colours background and their iconic picture that looks like lithograph or painting of the Goddess Sri, known as the goddess of rice in Indonesian myth, is so graceful that it captured my attention. Later on I knew that the brand name is also inspired by this mythical goddess, hence the name 'Dewi Sri Spa' (Spa of the Goddess Sri) and what's so special, most of the products contain rice extract! I think this brand is truly a trademark of Indonesia!

By the way, I watched a beautifully quirky video by PAC cosmetics featuring Dewi Sandra as the model glamorously wearing Javanese jewelry, hair updo and clothes. Personally I'm not into Javanese cultures and stuffs but watching this remind me the ancient beauty of their performance art.


No comments:

Post a Comment