Monday 9 December 2013

sariayu Toba makeup collection 2010 review

A little bit late to post, but I really want to write this because it's the first makeup collection that basically upgraded my interest from skincare to makeups! All these whiles I'm prioritising skincare over cosmetics and I'd never been a huge fan of makeups until I bought this collection:



Sariayu Colour Trend 2010: "Senandung Rimba Sumatra" (English: Song of Sumatran Forests)
For your info, Sumatra island was used to be called as "The Land of Gold" in the past.


 They advertised that they formulated the ingredients in the eyeshadows with natural Amethyst powder, and Kiss me quick flower extracts, passion fruit fragrant and SPF 15 in their lip makeup.

 Yes, I know it's an old makeup collection, but compare to the Sariayu makeup collections from 2011 onwards, they have bigger packaging on blushers, eyeshadows and powders, and bigger packaging means higher prices. So to put it simply, Sariayu 2010 makeup collection is the last line in which the makeups are sold in smaller packaging.


The colours in this collection, like the name, were inspired from the natures of Sumatra Island. In case you're wondering where on earth Sumatra is, you can peek to the Wikipedia description here, because I can't find a nice map to show you the location (lol).

Anyway! They have two sub-collections: Toba and Nias:

They described the colours as 'dynamic and trendy'. The Toba collection, which has its colours inspired from the beauty of Toba volcanic lake. 


And the Nias collection which is inspired from the Nias island in the Sumatra:


They described the colours as 'natural and elegant'.

So basically it's said that in Nias, having its location remote makes the nature beautiful. One of the most famous Nias tradition is for their men to jump over a high stone. I didn't get why they include pink in their collection, I think they picked it from the traditional Nias clothing colour:

 Yeah, something like this.

The one I bought was from the Toba collection. I swear if I hadn't seen the eyeshadow sold at a bargain price, I wouldn't ever bought it. Even if it's a 2010 collection, but the eyeshadow was still in new, untouched condition:


The packaging has a sorta small 'window' that enables you to see the colours inside: black, orange and green. I think the orange and black shades are inspired from the Toba volcano, and the green shade just represents Sumatra forest in general.

Now let me open it...

It has a small rectangular mirror attached to it, and a cute 2-in-1 brush and sponge applicator. Each of the shades has cute butterfly wing engraving as well! Love it!

Taking a closer look to the shades...




The shades have frost texture and give this kind of  little bit shimmery and metallic look when applied. I thought the orange and green shades would appear so vibrant and neon that I doubt to wear them, but when I put a swatch on my skin, oh! It looks sheer and not bright, very perfect for daytime wear:


The orange looks coppery, while the green shade has a golden nuance in it.

The first thing I thought when I looked at the colours is, "Oh, they will make contrast combination because there's black." yes, black is the only dark shade in this little palette; but luckily, a black shade is an essential colour to create a smokey eye look! Black and green will make a beautiful green smokey eye look, and sometimes if I want to wear a more natural look, blending the green and orange shades can create a gorgeous golden-coppery look.

Some ideas on how I usually mix and match these shades (apart from the examples above):



For this look, replace the yellow shade with orange!


And also... I happened to buy the Toba blusher too:



This is the first time I wear orange blusher (I usually go for pink!). The reason I bought the Toba blusher is because they has a brown shade and I think it's perfect to wear as bronzer, and to contour the face. And just like its eyeshadow, the blusher has a butterfly engraving as well. The blusher has a small and thin brush applicator which I found... Useless, because it takes time to blend the colours on my cheeks when I use it. Better use a real blusher brush, though. 

The swatch, brown and orange shades respectively. I don't know what's wrong with my camera, but the orange shade looked pinkish here. It actually does look orange in real!

To conclude, now I happen to like orange shade blusher because it suits to my warm skin tone. I think overall the Toba collection is more suitable for warm skin tone! 

Me, wearing Toba blusher. Yes, it made a good contour for my cheeks, as if my cheekbones were embossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment