Tuesday 26 February 2013

Sariayu 2013 Colours Trend: Pesisir Sentrajawa

Sariayu, one of the legendary brands in Indonesian very own makeup products, must launch their very own colours trend every year. I didn't remember what I was researching about, but gladly I came across a blog post about the latest Sariayu 2013 colours trend!


Beautiful ad, as always ♥
So, this year they feature the colours of Pesisir Sentrajawa, or accurately translated as 'Shore of Central Java'. Sentrajawa actually sounds unusual for Indonesian ears (xD) because we've always called it as Jawa Tengah -- it's the same thing.

This time, Sariayu picks two of the Central Java uniquenesses as their 2013 colours trend inspiration, to combine the colors in Karimunjawa collection, and Lasem collection.

The first uniqueness is about the beautiful habitat under the sea of the Karimunjawa beach,

which has inspired the Karimunjawa colours shade:
 (okay, forgive me; I have to upload this from their website as I can't find a beautiful image that features their theme collection! And by the way, even the image has an underwater concept -- if you notice it ;)

Closeup look for the collection:

It's impressive how the eyeshadow shades are look alike with those coral reefs colour!
And very beautiful package design -- really match, especially with the eyeshadow shades.

The second Central Java uniqueness is the exoticism of batik art and culture in the Lasem , which heavily has Chinese influence since about hundred years ago (that's a.. wow). At first I didn't get what Lasem batik culture has to do with the Pesisir (sea shore) Sentrajawa theme? Now I just knew that Lasem is a district in Central Java that's located at the shore of Java sea. By the way, the name is pronunced as Laa-Sèm :D

 The assimilation of Chinese and Javanese culture had been created in the batik art of Lasem when a Chinese admiral with his people came to settle in Lasem during the 15th century. In fact, Lasem used to be a little Chinatown at the shore of Java sea (read more here).

No wonder! So the Chinese had brought  a lot of red variants in batik-colouring. Well, even if it's not exactly red, but the colours are pretty close to red, such as fuchsia, pink, mauve, peach, brownish dark red, and we all know that traditionally red is associated with Chinese culture (just think about red Chinese lanterns, and angpao! :) .

[image]

[image]
The culture and art of batik-making in Lasem.

So yeah, interesting background about the culture and history. I think the dominantly red colours brought by the Chinese in the past into the Lasem batik-making makes Sariayu chose the colour swatches in the second collection, Lasem:


What a very oriental theme, really portrays the Chinese influence in it, just like what I've described above. And I really love how they makeover the model! Her costume, her hairstyle and how the shades applied on her face are just a matching, wonderful concept ♥

Closeup view of the collection:
Absolutely. Lasem is my favourite! I like the eyeshadow palette. The deep red shade looks matched with the duo lip-function, and I never see such perfect, deep red eyeshadow before. I want to have this palette! I can see the deep red and the pale natural pink shade can create a gorgeous smokey red eyeshadow, however... I don't like the mid shade -- it's the most contrast of all the three shades, very bright and I'm not a fan of hot pink, haha! (or is it fuchsia?) But maybe, the pink won't seem dramatically bright if I apply just a little bit on my eyelid :D

I also love the Lasem duo-lip function...

Duo lip-function is two-in-one lipstick and lipgloss. I love the red colour of this! It's a perfect mature red, not too light nor dark, really suit with the red eyeshadow from the same collection. By the way, is it just me or do you notice too that the lower package design looks like Chinese fabric pattern? Even the packaging looks exotic!

Each collection also has compact powder:
Lasem and Karimunjawa, respectively. Lasem suits more to brighter skin, while the Karimunjawa is much suitable to darker or tan-like skin tone. I can see the powder has actually three parts: the lighter beige as compact powder, darker beige for cheekbone shading and the pink and orange shades are meant to be blushers; so it's actually a three-in-one face powder!

However I personally think the blusher is too little compared with the proportion of other shades (unless, well... In the professional palette. Read below!), but I understand why they put it this way. It's just the matter of artwork and design (;
[image]
The bird engraving -- I just notice. It's actually inspired from one of the most common patterns in Lasem batik: The Chinese Phoenix bird. Again, the pattern came from the influence of Chinese cultural art.

Before I end this post...



 • The Chinese-oriental nuance of Lasem reminds me of
the Denting Kecapi collection in 2011. Same philosophy, but different colours.

• 5 stars for the packaging design. Highly artistic.
Sariayu is always a winner in this. But there's more than just beautiful packaging.
I love the story behind why certain colours and themes are chosen.
Just like their colour trends every year.

• Beautiful details. The lipstick, the eyeshadows, the face powders: all have engraving on it.
See, they don't just look like a set of colourful makeup -- but a work of art!

• Sariayu has also a couple of new products under these collections:
eye makeup kit and gloss gel (something like face primer/highlighter. I guess). You can check them out at their website here.

• They also have professional makeup palette that consists of all the colours in these collections, but I don't know if
it's available in all Martha Tilaar counter branches here... Gotta check it out.

Wow, when the two collections are put together, they make such rainbow colours! ^.^
I got the photos from a beauty blogger. Check her review about this palette!

And so... After I finish analysing about these collections, I can't wait to buy my favourite Lasem makeup set
and write a review once I try wearing it! Also, I want to get the agenda book! I've taken a look inside one, and the pages are much gorgeous than 2012 Sariayu Agenda.

(image courtesy of Hanny)

The inside pages must be lovely like this one. It's a limited edition, obviously (:

Other references:
Lasem heritage
Background of 2013 Colour Trend

p.s: Ending this *sorta* long post, I'd like to thank Sariayu themselves for making me learn many new things behind these collections! *sigh!* This post actually has been edited repeatedly, right after I found another interesting fact to be added.

I hope you enjoy reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment